You are here:
CornCorn is rich in fibre and iron. It is the most protein-rich cereal and is therefore especially recommended among vegetarians
- Corn is a high-fibre cereal.
- It has a remarkably high iron content.
- It is the most protein-rich cereal and is therefore especially recommended among vegetarians.
- In addition, it is one of the most fibre-rich cereals and because of its diuretic properties it is also taken as an infusion in many countries.
- Corn has a variety of uses, such as in the form of oil or flour for cooking and as a food in itself, both on and off the cob.
- Its dough is one of the fundamental pillars of Mexican cuisine and is used for preparing all kinds of tortillas, quesadillas, burritos and tacos.
- Its most widespread culinary use in Spain is as fried corn kernels.
- It is also used as popcorn.
- Other uses: Corn is one of the most studied crops in the field of genetics because of the large amount of information it provides. Given its make-up, it facilitates genetic recombination and crossing over, giving rise to new varieties that are fit for consumption.